Class: Eye, Nose and Ear
Dosage Form: Drops
Description: Anti-inflammatory, antifungal, and antibacterial
Manufacturer: Amoun Pharma
Each 1 ml contains:
Flumethasone pivalate………….0.2 mg
Flumethasone pivalate is a synthetic corticosteroid with moderate potency used for local application as an antiinflammatory, anti-allergic and vasoconstrictor.
It gives symptomatic relief for inflammatory diseases of the external ear canal as it reduces inflammation, itching and edema.
Clioquinol is an antifungal and antibacterial agent. It is effective against fungi (e.g. Candida and Microsporum) and gram-positive bacteria, e.g. Staphylococci. It aslo has a moderate effect on gram-negative bacteria.
Viotic is indicated in:
- Otitis externa
- Secondary infected eczematous otitis externa by sensitive fungi or bacteria
- Mycosis of the external ear
Viotic is contraindicated in:
- Hypersensitivity to any of the components
- Perforated ear drum
- Application to the eye
- Children below 2 years of age
- Viral (e.g. chicken pox) or syphilic skin infections; tuberculosis of the skin; skin eruptions following vaccination
Laboratory Test Interactions:
- The ferric chloride test for phenylketonuria may yield a false-positive result when clioquinol is present in the urine.
- Local application of preparations containing clioquinol may raise the amount of protein-bound iodine (PBI), which may interfere with some thyroid function tests.
Occasionally, at the site of application signs of irritation such as a burning sensation, itching, or skin rash may occur. Treatment should be discontinued if severe irritation develops.
Dosage and Administration:
The following is generally recommended:
- Instill 2-3 drops into the ear canal twice daily, or pack the aural canal with gauze or cotton wick saturated with the solution, or as directed by the physician
- The ear canal should be clean and dry before application
- Lie with the affected ear turned upwards
- Apply the drug and remain in this position for a few minutes to allow penetration into the ear canal
- To avoid contamination, the dropper should not touch any surface
Pregnancy and Lactation:
The preparation should only be use if potential benefits justifies the risk.
The ear drum should be examined prior to the beginning of therapy.
If there is a risk that perforation of the ear drum may occur, the ear drops should not be used.
Try to avoid getting any drops onto hair surrounding the ear, clothing or bed-linen as these drops may cause discoloration.
Dropper bottles of 10 ml.
Store at room temperature, below 25°C.