Dosage Form: Various
Description: Chemotherapeutic agent with bactericidal properties
Manufacturer: Memphis Co.
Suspension (5 ml):
Sutrim has a unique mode of action. It contains trimethoprim that represent a new group of compounds, which affect the nucleoprotein metabolism of the cells of the microorganisms by interference in the folic-folicinic acid systems.
It also contains sulphamethoxazole that acts on the same biologic pathway at a different point and the effect of both chemotherapeutic agents are synergisitc.
The preparation has a bactericidal effect against a wide range of gram positive and gram negative bacteria and the resistance is less likely to occur than when either agent is used alone.
It is to be pointed out that this preparation should not be administered in case of marked liver parenchymal damage and acute renal failure.
Sutrim is indicated in:
- Respiratory infection
- Genitourinary tract infection
- Gastrointestinal infection
- Skin infection
- Abscesses and wound infections
Sutrim is contraindicated in:
- Hypersensitivity to sulpha drugs or trimethoprim
- Hematological disturbances and anemic cases
- In case of liver parenchymal damage and acute renal failure
- Infants below two months
Dosage and Administration:
1.Adults and Children Above 12 Years:
- Standard dose : 2 sutrim tablets twice daily, morning and evening after meals
- Maximum dose and dosage for long-term treatment (more than 14 days) : one tablet twice daily
- Maximum dose (for severe infections): two tablets three times daily, children receive a dose corresponding to their ages.
- From 6 to 12 years : one sutrim tablet twice daily
2. Children Below 12 years of age:
- 8 weeks to 5 months : 2.5 ml (half teaspoonful) twice daily
- 8 months to 5 years : 5 ml (1 teaspoonful) twice daily
- 8 years to 12 years : 10 ml (2 teaspoonful) twice daily
Pregnancy and Lactation:
Not used during first trimester and last trimester of pregnancy, but used during the second trimester.
Not used during lactation.
Not to be used with children below 3 years without physician’s directions.
Regular hematological examination, renal and hepatic examination must be done during long term use.
For acute infections, Sutrim should be taken for at least five days or until the patient is symptom-free for one more day.
Boxes of 10 or 20 tablets.
Bottles of 100 ml.
Store at room temperature, below 25°C.