Class: Gastrointestinal System
Dosage Form: Ampoules
Description: Analgesic and anti-spasmodic
Manufacturer: Amriya Pharmaceuticals
Hysocine Butylbromide………….20 mg
Ketoprofen is a powerful non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent with marked analgesic and antipyretic properties.
Hyoscine butylbromide is a quaternary ammonium anticholinergic agent with peripheral effect similar to atropine. It has antispasmodic action on the smooth muscles of the gastrointestinal, biliary and urinary tracts.
Spasmofen is indicated in:
- Renal colic
- Biliary colic
- Spasmodic dysmenorrhoea
- Postpartum pain
- As an aid in diagnosis of therapeutic procedures, e.g. gastroduodenal endoscopy and radiography
Spasmofen is contraindicated in:
- Glaucoma, hypertrophy of the prostate with urine retention, tachycardia
- Active peptic ulceration or history of recurrent peptic ulceration, bronchial asthma
- Known hypersensitivity to any of the active substances
The following side effects are to be noted:
- Dryness of the mouth
- Reduction in sweat gland secretion
- Allergic reactions particularly of the skin
- Visual disturbances
- Micturition difficulties
- Gastrointestinal disorders: epigastric pain, nausea, dyspepsia, abdominal discomfort
Dosage and Administration:
The following dosage is generally recommended for adults:
- 1-2 ampoules daily according to the condition
- Administered as a deep intramuscular injection
Pregnancy and Lactation:
The drug should be given with caution to pregnancy and lactating mothers.
Hyoscine may cause drowsiness, decreased mental alertness. Patients should avoid driving motor vehicles and taking alcohol while under influence of the treatment.
A box containing 3 ampoules of 2 ml each.
Store at room temperature.