Dosage Form: Tablets
Description: Broad spectrum fluoroquinolone antibiotic
Manufacturer: Eva Pharma
Moxifloxacin hydrochloride……..400 mg
Moxifloxacin is an 8-methoxyquinoline, which has a potent bactericidal activity against gram-positive, gram-negative and atypical pathogens. In vitro testing has confirmed moxifloxacin to be one of the most active quinolones against bacteria already resistant to penicillins & macrolides including Streptococcus pneumonia, Haemophilus influenza, Moraxella catarrhalis and, also moxifloxacin exhibits activity against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
Moxiflox is a wide spectrum antibiotic, which is used in the following bacterial infections:
- Respiratory tract infections, including:
- Acute exacerbations of the chronic bronchitis
- Community acquired pneumonia
- Acute sinusitis
- Skin and skin structure infections
- Complicated intra-abdominal infections including polymicrobial infections such as abscesses caused by Escherichia coli, Bacteroides fragilis,..
Moxiflox is contraindicated in:
- Hypersensitivity to any component of the drug
- Moxifloxacin should be avoided in patients receiving class IA (e.g : quinidine, procainamide) or class III (e.g : amiodarone, sotalol), antiarrhythmic agents
Administration of quinolones with antacid containing aluminium, magnesium or calcium, with sucralfate, with metal cation such as iron or with multivitamins containing iron or zinc may interfere with the absorption of quinolones therefore moxifloxacin should be taken 4 hours before or 8 hours after this products.
In more than 1% of moxifloxacin treated patients:
- Nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, headache, abdominal pain, vomiting
Less than or equal to 1% of moxifloxacin treated patients :
- CVS: Palpitation, tachycardia, peripheral edema ,hypertension, hypotension
- CNS: Nervousness, hallucination, confusion, tremor
- Digestive system: Stomatitis, gastritis, gastrointestinal disorders, cholestatic jaundice
- Metabolic and Nutritional: Hyperglycemia, hyperlipidemia
- Respiratory: Asthma, pneumonia
- Urogenital: Vaginitis , cystitis , abnormal kidney function
Dosage and Administration:
The recommended dose for all indications, is one tablet once daily (independent of food) for 10 days in community acquired pneumonia and in acute bacterial sinusitis, for 5 days in acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis for 7 days in skin and skin structure infections, and for 5-14 days in complicated intra-abdominal infections.
Pregnancy and Lactation:
Should be used only if the benefits outweigh the potential risk.
Not to be used during lactation.
Pack of 1 or 2 strips of 5 tablets each.
Store at room temperature, below 25°C.