Class: Musculoskeletal System
Dosage Form: Ear Drops
Description: For renal and urinary disorders and urolithiasis
Each 5 g sachet contains:
Magnesium citrate……………….2.125 g
Magnesium ions inhibit formation of calcium oxalate crystals by combination with exogenous dietatric oxalate thus preventing formation of renal crystalluria. The citrate ions render urine alkaline so that urates may dissolve and are easily eliminated. Also, citrate ions, by chelating calcium ions, inhibit formation of calcium oxalate. Therefore, magnesium citrate may be prescribed to prevent recurrence of calcium oxalate kidney stones. Magnesium citrate is an osmotic laxative.
Oral magnesium salts, including citrate, are generally very slowly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. They are excreted rapidly in the urine (absorbed fraction) and the faeces (unabsorbed fraction).
Epimag is indicated in:
- Cases of oxaluria
- Mild laxative to relieve constipation
Epimag is contraindicated in:
- Abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and other symptoms of appendicitis
- Abdominal surgery
- Intestinal obstruction or perforation
- Rectal fissures
Magnesium citrate, and other magnesium salts, may interact with many other drugs both by alterations in gastric pH and emptying, and by formation of complexes that are not absorbed. Generally, magnesium salts may impair absorption of many other drugs.
Administration should be separated by a number of hours. The following drug classes may interact with magnesium:
- Aminoquinolones (e.g. chloroquine)
- Fluoroquinolones (e.g. ciprofloxacin)
- Penicillamine, and tetracyclines
The following side effects have been reported:
- Gastrointestinal irritation, abdominal cramping, nausea, diarrhea
- Laxative dependence with long-term or excessive use
- Fluid and electrolyte disturbances
Dosage and Administration:
The contents of one sachet are to be dissolved in half glass of water and given 3 times daily, or as directed by the physician.
Oral magnesium salts, including magnesium citrate, should be used cautiously in:
- Patients with impaired renal function
- Patients with rectal bleeding
- Pregnancy and lactation
Box of 12 sachets of 5 g each.
Store at room temperature, below 25°C.